Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hola Hola Hola! (10/6/14)

Hola Queridos! 

Wow, what a week and what a day!! It has been the most craziest week of the mission so far! Today was our Zone activity. 18 elders and 2 Hermanas. We had plans to play soccer (as always), cook asado (its like steak) and watch the Lego movie. We of course had to take control of everything because these men are just disasters, and then Elder Howell from Utah got hit in the face and his tooth went through his mouth. We then turned into the doctors and had to find a hospital, send them there, find money, and of course pack the sack lunch. If we are being honest, I hate being the only Hermanas in a zone of elders that seriously need a mom at all times. My want for children has not grown in the mission haha. But, finally, we have time to email! The best part of p-day!

Also, fun fact, the mission president that got kidnapped, is the president of my companion in the MTC. (shout out Hermana Tidwell) It is Buenos Aires North. I am 30 minutes from this mission! Haha welcome to argentina, where sketchy is their middle name. 

Congrats to Hailey and Brooke for Homecoming!! Way to rep the mormon girls :) And I loved seeing all the pictures of the modest dresses. We always are cuter when we are modest! 

This week we had interviews with President. Usually, they are in english for missionaries from the states. But he never started to speak in english with me so it was in spanish. He told me how proud he was for my spanish and that I am speaking so well. It felt so good to hear. Sometimes I get so frustrated and feel like I am not progressing but I have realized that in a few short months I am able to read, speak, and write in spanish! I also got 18 HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARDS :) Thanks to everyone! 

I had the best birthday. My companion made me a cake and breakfast. We almost burnt the apartment down at 7 in the morning when we lit a firework inside, whoops. I have it all on video, I hope I can send it! We had a family home evening with our ward that night and when we finished, they brought out this huge cake for me and sang and then sang in english! It was the sweetest thing. Its hard to be away from home on days when we have so many traditions. I of course missed the pumpkin pie and fall days, but I am so loved here and I have my argentine family to fill my heart for now. It was a wonderful birthday! Cant believe I am twenty!

We had lots of encounters with PITBULLS this week. Hermana Nava and I have a mutual fear of dogs so whenever there is a sketchy looking dog we both just start to book it! How funny, seeing 2 sister missionaries running from stray dogs every day!

We got some weird news this week. Our area is very hard. We have about 10% of the ward boundaries because we cannot enter in the dangerous parts. President is thinking about moving us to open another area here. We are so nervous. It could mean that I will be in Avellaneda for more time but in a different ward and different area. Hermana and I are so nervous to start over. Our area has only been open for 8 months and they are thinking of closing it already!

How was conference??! I was SO nervous to watch it in spanish! I watched the womans meeting in spanish and Elder Uchtdorfs talk seriously was just what I needed. Lately, I have been feeling like I am an awful missionary. We really dont have investigators, no one is progessing, our less actives arent going to church, and our numbers are really low. Elder Uchtdorf talked about how nothing that we put value in, is important to God. Really, he is all we need to please. I was able to change my perspective that if I just work for God, I wont feel disappointed with a silly number. 

I was praying all week for a way to watch conference in English. I can understand almost everything in spanish but it just means more in your own language. The session started and the stake president told me there was english in the other room. I told him I couldnt go because I didnt have a companion. He then called president thurgood and I asked if I could be in a room with 6 elders to watch conference and president said yes! I was able to watch it in english! And, the talks in spanish, we watched in spanish and I understood everything. I feel so bi-lingual! haha

But, yesterday we went to go look for an investigator that said she wanted to come to conference with us. We left to go look for her at 12 to make it to the session at 1. She hadnt gotten out of bed so she said come back at 5. So, of course at 5 it was the worst rainstorm I have ever seen in my life. We walked in the rain, COMPLETELY SOAKED, rang her doorbell 4 times. Never came to the door. We both started to cry. We had so many appointments fall through this week, and it was just the breaking point. In the rain, we made our 15 minute walk back to the church SOAKING WET. We watched conference and when we finished there were HUGE puddles from all the water in our skirts, hair, backpacks. I got to thinking that the feeling that we felt when Palmira didnt answer the door is how our Heavenly Father feels when we arent obedient. We knew that conference was just what she needed and she promised, but she put something else before God. I NEVER want my heavenly father to feel that way about me. I know that he has felt that way in the past with me and when I dont follow the spirit, but I have made it a goal to try and not hurt his feelings like people hurt mine here! haha

This week was great. I learned a lot and am loving the mission. Tomorrow is 5 wonderful months in the mission. How fast time is passing. Thanks for all the birthday wishes as well :) Heres to another year!

Hermana Root






No comments:

Post a Comment